Tofu can be done in several ways … I’ve tried making it with nigari and lemon juice (real lemon … not liquid) and it’s about the same. Anyways I’m just going to post how to make it using nigari … which is a kind of salt full of magnesium … actually some people have it to add some into their diet.
- 2 L of soy milk
- 1 Tsp of nigari
- 1 cup of water
How to make tofu using nigari
- Pour the soy milk into a big pot and heat
- Meanwhile warm some water on the kettle or in the microwave for 1 minute
- Pour the nigari into the glass and mix well
- When the milk is hot with some tiny bubbles on the side, but not boiling, add the nigari.
- Cover and let it work for 30 minutes
- Place a cotton cloth inside a colander
- After the nigari effect, pour the tofu through the cotton – colander getting rid of the liquid….
- Put some weight on top so that most of the liquid gets out and your tofu becomes firmer
- Place in a tupper filled with water and store or use
I know it's not the prettiest tofu you've seen but it's exactly the same! And same price. Also I didn't have the proper box to make the tofu so I used what I had home :)