This is a modification from a recipe that I found online... as in Spain I can seem to find Pumpkin puree cans.
- 1 slice of pumpkin (about 5 cm thick)
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 white mushrooms
- Vegetable stock
- 1 Tsp of Cream cheese (vegan ... tofutti otherwise philadelphia)
- 1 Tsp of white wine
- 1 cup of white rice (you should use proper risotto ric Arborio, Baldo, Carnaroli, ... but I didn't have so I used the one you use for paellas here in Spain)
- White pepper
- Italian spices mix
- Salt, olive oil or margarine
How to make this pumpkin risotto:
- First of all you have to make the pumpkin puree ... which I made with the pumpkin, carrot and half onion.
- Bring some water to boil. Meanwhile, peal carrot, onion and pumpkin and chop into big chunks. When it starts to boil, add these to the water and cook for 20 minutes.
- Cut the rest of the onion into small squares.
- Wash the mushrooms and chop them
- Pour some hot water into a bowl (big bowl) and add the veg stock. Mix well and leave aside.
- When the 20 minutes have passed (veg should be pretty soft now), blend everything and leave aside. Add some of the water from the veg if necessary to make it more liquid if you wish.
- In a big pan, add some olive oil or margarine and start by frying the onion. After a minute add mushrooms.
- Add some wine and wait for a couple minutes before adding the rice (to reduce the alcohol).
- Add rice and thyme.
- Add a minute later some of the veg stock. About 5 minutes later add some of the pumpkin. Then 5 minutes later add some of the veg stock, then the pumpkin, and so on until your rice gets softer.
- Add the cream cheese and all the spices. Remember to stir constantly, so that you don't burn your rice.
- Be patient with this kind of rice, it takes a bit but it's worth it! Make sure you put enough thyme and that your rice doesn't lose the pumpkin flavour.